Sunday, November 27, 2005

Happy Spanksgiving!!

As my Packers continue their race with the Texans for Reggie Bush, I thought I would remind you all that I'm not dead.

First of all, a belated Happy Spanksgiving to everybody.

Friday's USA Today had some stuff I wanted to talk about, but I don't have the paper with me right now, so I'll wait to post that stuff.

This morning, Pastor preached on the second commandment. He talked about how the first commandment is to prevent polytheism. The second commandment is more concerning the way you worship. The second commandment was dealing specifically with a golden calf situation. The graven images weren't necessarily about other gods. The graven images were simply human representations of Jehovah. The implications of this commandment were and still are enormous. God didn't want His people to need some earthy representation of Him. He didn't want them to be able to just depend on something tangible or comfortable. He wanted their worship to be purely about Him. Now, what does that mean to us today? How much of our worship is purely about God? And how much of our worship is about today's modern 'graven images?' What do you think today's graven images are? It strikes me that it is possible that a great deal of what we do to "worship" is really just man's representation of God.

Tell me what you think.

1 Comments:

Blogger justinic9 said...

Yeah, the sermon was really challenging. What are our idols? How about church attendance, the hymns we sing, daily devotions, prayer for meals. All these things are great if they truly point us to God. But when we do them just to do them, they are becoming idols.

I liked his argument that idols should be avoided because they 1) can not represent God as He really is, and 2) will distract us from truly worshipping Him. And I really like the fact that Jesus is the physical representation of God men have always sought. Apart from Jesus, we can not know who God truly is. John 1:18: "No man hath seen God at any time: the only begotten Son, . . . he hath declared him." I think we forget sometimes what all Jesus did for us. He reconciled us to God not only by atoning for our sin (please, I'm not trying to minimize that!), but also by giving us some kind of understanding of who and what God is.

11:35 PM, November 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home