Tuesday, April 25, 2006

...three hundred sixty-five...

I don't know what I think about blogging yet. A blog is a platform by which anybody can publish their thoughts, dreams, their rants and raves--basically anything they want. I find that unimaginably frightening.

It is kind of like cable tv. Even with more than two hundred channels, Speed 2 is the best option for my viewing pleasure as I write this. Just because there are more opportunities to communicate doesn't mean that anybody is actually communicating anything worthwhile.

So what is it that I believe that I can offer the blogging community? What makes me as a writer or blogger worth listening to? I am not the funniest person on the internet. Nor am I the smartest. So what can I offer you?

As I thought this through, I realized that I really have nothing new for you. I am never going to be the best writer in the world. I don't have the best vocabulary, or the best syntax. I do have strengths--if I can say that without sounding arrogant. But by no means am I a great writer. And I'm really not that great of a thinker. I try to dig beneath the surface. I try to understand. But the best I can do is stand on the shoulders of giants.

So what is the one thing that I can offer? Honesty. Brutal, uncompromising honesty. That is the only truly unique thing I can offer.

So here it is. Today is the one year anniversary of a plane crash. A horrible, senseless accident that took the life of one of my best friends. And I don't know what I feel.

Jess thinks that grieving is simply getting used to missing someone. I think she's right. I don't miss Ace any less after one year. I am just used to it.

I think about him all the time. I still have a hard time playing cards. I get depressed anytime I hear Linkin Park or 50 Cent. I think about him everytime I see an obnoxious belt buckle or a t-shirt with a not-so-hidden meaning.

Sometimes I think about him and I feel like I am about to explode. I feel like I have to hold everything in because if I don't, all of me will just spill out and there won't be anything left. And sometimes I think about him and feel so profoundly empty. I feel like someone sucked the life out of my chest. My throat and ribs tighten until I can hardly breathe.

I don't understand anything about Ace's death. I don't understand how it happened. I don't understand why it happened. I don't understand what I am supposed to be learning. I don't understand what God is trying to do.

But I am getting used to it. I don't know how. I don't know why. I don't want to. But I am.

I wrote this a year ago today:


I've never felt this way before. I desperately want just to sleep and make the hurt go away, yet every second I'm not crying I feel disgusted with myself. I feel jealous and angry every time they show his face on the news and every time the play the recording of his last phone call. I feel like they don't deserve to hear his voice. They aren't worthy to hear his emotion. I am filled with hate everytime someone who doesn't know him comes up to me and asks me how I'm doing, and reminds me that God is good, or that God's will is perfect. I hear that enough from the little voice in the back of my head, and every time that little voice speaks, my whole mind, soul, and body wish they could strangle that little voice.

I feel cheated. Cheated that I have only known him for 3 years. Cheated that I was gone so much of that time. Cheated that he left at I time that I wanted him to be here so much. Cheated that he won't see Jess's engagement ring. Cheated that he won't be able to show me around D.C. this summer. Cheated that he never took me up flying. Cheated that he won't be at my bachelor party. Cheated that he won't stand next to me when I get married. It's not right. He was supposed to be there for all of that. He was supposed to get married, and have me stand up for him. He was supposed to have kids. His kids were supposed to meet my kids. We were supposed to get together every Labor Day for a barbeque.

I just want to tell him how much he has meant to me. I want to tell him how great of a friend he was. I want to tell him how much I admired his confidence and self-discipline. I want to tell him how much I wish I had gone out partying with him. I want to tell him how gay those stupid belt buckles were, but how much I loved that he wore them. And the same with those shoes he had his freshman year. And his tie that says "On a mission from God." I want to tell him how much I miss him already.


I still miss him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

I wanted to go through the archives to see that post. I remember that really well. I also remember a song that fit with it perfectly. It doesn't check, mind you, but it's a good song, just the same. I think my post on Matt's blog pretty much says what's worth sharing today. Praying for you, buddy.

Matt's post: 4-25-05

12:25 PM, April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home