Thursday, July 06, 2006

Explosions and burnt flesh

I have been sitting here for the past 20 minutes listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd trying to come up with something appropriate to say about Independence day. You know, stars and stripes and loving America and President Bush and SUVs and Jesus in that order--like any good American vet.

I just don't have it. The only thing I can think of writing about the holiday is a quote from the movie Dazed and Confused. Just as the kids are leaving class for the summer, you hear the hippie feminist teacher say, "Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes."

I know I should focus on the freedoms and oppportunites. On a heritage that we should be proud of. But something changed in Iraq. I just got sick of looking only at American past and present in only positive terms. I want to be honest. I don't want to praise our manifest destiny when we eradicated entire nations of indigenous people with our alcohol, smallpox, and racism. I want to be honest about our manipulation of foreign politics for our economic gain, whether it is Mexico, Columbia, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, or Iraq. I want to recognize and condemn when a president uses foriegn conflict to distract the American public from the real issues happening within his administration.

And I don't think that makes me less patriotic. I don't think that makes me love my country any less. I want to be honest about my dissillusionment and distrust, and I want to find a leader that is worthy of my support. I have looked into the eyes of men that have sacrificed everything for their country--careers, family, money, home, limbs, and life. And I want to believe that their sacrifices are worth it. I want to believe that they sacrificed for an ideal and a better life, not for Halliburton.

You might say that this post is a little cynical. I agree. I think cynicism is the result of mixing idealism with honest evaluation. If you don't truly believe in ideals, it won't bother you when the harsh realities of life are laid bare. But when you truly believe in freedoom and truth and peace, that is when you struggle to deal with the fact that money, sex, and power are the motivations of our leaders.

I want to be able to stand behind the path that my country is choosing. But I want to be open to dialogue about what path it is that we should choose. And I don't think that makes me un-American.

I don't know. Maybe '70's hillbilly rawk isn't patriotic enough. Maybe I should go find some Toby Keith. He will save me from my pinko commie thoughts.

5 Comments:

Blogger Slim said...

Wow. Excellent post. There isn't really anything I disagree with you on. I had supported President Bush, but now, I'm just like, "wait, we still have how long with him?" I really question everything he has done. Everything. From Iraq to the way Katrina was handled. I mean, honestley, what has he done to make our country better? I'm not sure. What, we freed all those people in Iraq and they now have the right to vote? Please, don't let me undermind that. But than why aren't we doing anything all over the place in Africa? In Dahfur? I mean, aren't all these places suffering through the same, if not worse things? Shouldn't we be there to help those people too? If we are this self-righteous nation that needs to defend all from tryany and opression, they why are we only defending our econmical assests.
Don't get me wrong, its not that I don't support my country. I am without question behind all of our military for putting thier life on the line to protect my freedoms. But I'm with you Dale; I'm not entirely sure how "Proud to be an American" I really am on a worldwide scheme of things.

2:51 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Katiebug said...

This has nothing to do with this post, rather it's actually a note for Jessica.
Jessica, thanks for your words of encouragement and strength. They were as words of balm and comfort to a hurting heart. I am sickend when I think about our generation and the hurt that we have sufferd due to poor leaders who do not take a stand and are full of back-biting, gossip, and rumors. There are so many things said today, not even concerning my family, that are so wrong and so self-centered. They are things that should not be said and hurt. Then we wonder why our churches aren't growing and the gospel being furthered. It's because we are all consumed by an outward appearance and care nothing about the hearts condition. If we would all see that there is more to man than looks and even personal convictions/standards we could be accomplishing so much more for the sake of Christ.
Again, thank you for your help, comfort and chanllange as we are going through this difficult time. I pray that my heart, just as you challenged me, does not become bitter towards God and His leading in our lives. My the Lord bless you for your help to me. Katie Jaspers

1:30 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger justinic9 said...

OK, I was with you until the Halliburton crack. Seriously, is originality in cynicism that difficult (I wouldn't know—I'm not cynical)? Otherwise, a good post. More dejected and predictable than I'd like to claim to be, but worth the read.

Slim, too many small disagreements to bother addressing, so I'll keep it general: You're a great guy, but I think you might be going a little overboard. Just my humble opinion.

Katie, um, this comment is actually regarding Dale's post, so, nevermind.

11:08 PM, July 24, 2006  
Blogger oneweekend said...

The Halliburton crack wasn't just an anti-Republican cliche. The Halliburton comment was born out of personal experience. When I was in Iraq, Halliburton fed me, they cleaned my bathrooms, and washed my clothes. When we needed materials, we asked Halliburton. When we needed contractors, we asked Halliburton. Halliburton told our higher headquarters which jobs were priority and which ones had to wait. Halliburton provided our electricity and our Burger King. Halliburton ran our internet and our weight room. Trust me, nothing you can imagine or hear on tv news shows can fully describe how much of a soldiers everyday life Halliburton controls.

10:10 PM, July 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No other companies exist who can do the type of jobs that Halliburton does - in a war zone.

11:25 PM, August 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home