Saturday, September 23, 2006

This post is not thought provoking

It really isn't. Just a bunch of random crap I wanted to put out here.

Last spring Justin put up a website at forumsplace.com, and nobody ever used it. After the last couple posts, I thought it would be a great place to have some of the discussions that have been taking place. So I posted some questions about truth on his site. I really think that should be a starting point for these discussions.

Some of you may have noticed a new addition to the bottom of my sidebar. The button with the picture of a bird is a link to the website, www.freederekwebb.com. Derek Webb is a Christian musician who is making his most recent album available free of charge. On his website, he gives this explanation: "I found that music has been an exceptional means by which to get this potentially difficult conversation going, and this is certainly an important moment for dialogue amongst people who disagree."

I have to say, "CCM" is not my thing. At all. But this album is phenomenal. It cuts to the core of many of the issues we are dealing with today. His lyrics are exceptional and thought provoking. I have been listening to it almost constantly the past week and a half. You should all go download it instantly if you haven't already. I leave you with the lyrics from his song, A New Law.

Don't teach me about politics and government,
Just tell me who to vote for.
Don't teach me about truth and beauty,
Just label my music.
Don't teach me how to live like a free man,
Just give me a new law.

I don't want to know, if the answers aren't easy.
Just bring it down from the mountain to me.
Just give me a new law.

Don't teach me about moderation and liberty,
I prefer a shot of grape juice.
Don't teach me about loving my enemies,
Don't teach me how to listen to the spirit,
Just give me a new law.

Because what's the use in trading a law you can never keep,
For one you can, but cannot get you anything?

Do not be afraid.

2 Comments:

Blogger oneweekend said...

Ok, so maybe the album isn't that phenomenal. I was listening to it while I wrote that, and maybe I overstated its merits. But the lyrics are about issues that need to be addressed, and for the most part, they are excellent.

10:29 PM, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Noah said...

If you really want some good lyrics, even if you don't care for the style (which I admit, I don't care for all the styles used), check out either of the two Casting Crowns CDs. Both of them hit at CHURCH issues as a whole in Christianity (If We Are the Body is one of theirs that does this, as well as American Dream). My new favorite song by them is "While You Were Sleeping" from the Lifesong CD. If you've never heard this song, you should at least consider borrowing someone's CD of it to listen to that single track (even if you don't listen to anything else). The apathy that so easily surrounds our Christian lives is the topic of this song. It hit home the first time I heard it.

11:27 PM, September 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home